Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wellfleet's Wicked Oyster: Not Bad At All

Last weekend Sven and I ate at Wicked Oyster. We had not dined there together for six years. Wicked Oyster is the closest restaurant to Chez Sven, walkable in fact, and a place we often send guests. What I really appreciated was the serenity of the setting. Of course, serenity was what I needed after last week. The food was good, too. I started with lentil soup. Sven ordered mussels, his favorite. A charming waitress served our main dish with a smile: lamb stew, perfect for a winter’s evening. Her ancestors came from the Azores, but she had grown up in Provincetown. I would have liked a bit of parsley on top, but, hey, I lived in France 25 years and have come to expect such things. I loved the candles, the fire in the fireplace, the paintings by local artists on the yellow walls. I asked about rivalry with the new French guys on the block. Max explained that the popularity of PB actually brought more discerning clients to town, so it had become a win-win situation. The only downside to our dinner was the check. Wicked has gotten pricey with entrĂ©es at twenty-five to thirty dollars ...