Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Sven Celebrates 74 at Winslow's Tavern

Tonight Sven and I celebrated his birthday at Winslow's Tavern, as we have done for several years. We had yummy seafood, two new entrees, a shellfish stew whose name was difficult to pronounce, and Rainbow Trout with Orange Saffron-braised Belgian Endive. I had trout for the first time in France, when I was seventeen. I remember perfectly. It was in Auxerre, or nearby, at an inn. How yummy that trout was! Anyway, the trout at Winslow's came from Idaho and was delicious too. Chef Philip Hunt stopped by our table to tell us about Wine Wednesdays, which was happening upstairs at the bar. He brought a Chateauneuf du Pape for Sven to taste, the Wine Wednesdays special: "unexpected and delicious." Finally, for dessert, we had Deconstructed Key Lime Pie. I couldn't help myself on the way to the car. I told a couple entering the restaurant to have Deconstructed Key Lime Pie for dessert. That's how good it was. Tracey and Philip treated us to a dessert wine from South Africa, where Philip grew up. Check out the color. I had to ask the name. It was Rudera, Chenin Blanc Noble Late Harvest, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 2005. Philip sure knows his wines. It was out of this world. The problem is, if I had that wine at home, I'd drink a bottle a day!