Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bonus Post: Newcomb Hollow Beach, Right Now


I call this photo one cloud, two waves. Newcomb Hollow Beach, at 4:30. Not quite low tide, but almost.

"It's so amazing here!" I exclaim to Sven as we walk back towards the parking lot.

"Fortunate for our guests that they got one such beautiful day," he responds.

Indeed, fans of Newcomb Hollow, sorry you missed the sea today. Here's what it looks like right now. Gentle waves roll in, supporting surfers, at least a dozen. Two ladies watch from the bench. An elderly beachcomber, with a metal detector, concentrates on the task of finding random coins and every so often slips something into his pocket. We pass a woman, wrapped in scarfs, sitting in meditation, facing the Atlantic, all by herself and happy to be so. The waves crash and water flows up the beach like molten steel. The ocean never looks this way in summer. It's peaceful, calm.

I say to myself, "This is why I live here!"