Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wellfleet's Farmers' Market Opens Amid Controversy

Yes, our Farmers Market opened today, behind Preservation Hall, but apparently not without being visited by policemen, and they were not looking to buy produce.

"They tried to shut us down," exclaimed Chris Murphy of Nestwood Farm in Truro as I admired his purple basil and other greens.

Sharyn Lindsay, in charge, piped up, "It's true. The cops were here. But we're permitted."

Apparently one of the Selectmen, the only one who opposes this worthwhile initiative, would have said, "We already have a Farmers' Market. It's called Hatch's."

I buy food regularly at Hatch's, and while I love the fact that it offers organic fruit and is located beside the town hall parking lot, I do not consider Hatch's to be a farmers' market. The kids who sell the produce do not work the fields. Lauren does not till the soil. Rob does not catch the fish ... you get the idea. So, back to Wellfleet's true farmers market, where eight merchants had set up stands this morning. I admired fresh baked goods from Wildflour Bakery, the one that is part of Flying Fish Cafe. The granola looked delicious.

"I thought I'd just see carrots and lettuce," Rex Peterson cried with delight, as he bought a pastry and immediately begin eating it.

I also admired the lemon scrub (above) Sharyn was selling, perfect for removal of dirt after gardening.

I bought a dozen eggs from the egg lady, whose name I missed (Sorry!), and three chocolate sunflowers from Soleil. She was watching over the flowers and herbs for her mom.

I was also tempted by the two stands selling homemade jewelry.

Wellfleet is so fortunate to have a farmers' market organized by locals. Every Wednesday, from 8 to noon, behind Preservation Hall. Put it on your calendar now so you don't forget. On my way home, I saw Brailsford Nixon setting out with a tote bag and knew just where she was heading ....