Friday, October 07, 2011

Wellfleet Artists Prepare for Oysterfest at Prez. Hall

Preservation Hall was so quiet yesterday evening when I stopped by with my camera in search of artists in action that I wondered whether perhaps I had been mistaken on the date or time. I trotted downstairs anyway and found half a dozen Wellfleetians, poised over the works of art they were creating to benefit our community center: oyster plates! Make no mistake. These creations will turn up 100 years from now on a 2111 version of Antiques Roadshow as examples of the twenty-first century Cape Cod arts and crafts movement. (I’ve got the one I bought last year stashed away so it does not get broken.) Above right, "Raspberry Oysters," painted by Carol Ubriaco. On the left, note the marvelous design Ken Fishman is studiously applying. There was no conversation, so intent were the artists on their work. The plates will be available for viewing and sale during Oysterfest.

This year Preservation Hall is organizing, “Find a Place At the Table, An Elegant Evening of Wine, Art, Music & Food.” For only $50, you get to sample five appetizers and wine pairings, courtesy of Truro Vineyards, as well as first dibs on the hand-painted oyster plates. The table settings will also be works of art, created by a bevy of local flower arrangers. (I have admired their skills at other Prez. Hall events, like the wreath pageant, and can vouch for how awesome they will be.) The date: Friday, October 14, at 6 pm. Seating for this unique event is limited so make your reservations today.