Friday, August 29, 2008

Zinnias Brighten Wellfleet Gardens in Fall

One of my favorite flowers is the zinnia. They produce such brilliant colors. Zinnias make the garden sparkle. I planted large ones this year, from seed. Only now are they coming into their own. Scarlet, bright orange, purple, pink, and yellow. Every morning I venture into the vegetable garden, where the zinnias are safe from rabbits, to pick a bouquet for the breakfast table. What I like about zinnias is that each one is distinct in its beauty. The centers are all different. Each individual is unique. Our guests are the same way. We have had so many lovely people visit over the summer. Getting to know guests is one of the treats of innkeeping, a benefit Sven and I did not expect. And, when one runs a green establishment, the individuals tend to shine even more brightly ...