Sunday, August 17, 2008

An August Day in the Life

The alarm clock rang at 7:15 this morning. I got up, had coffee, showered, and prepared breakfast for our guests who were able to eat outside on this, their last day of vacation. After their departure, I did laundry. Sven helped me clean both Liberty Coin Suite and the Green Room. I did sneak out for a bit of shopping downtown. Wellfleet Marketplace was crowded with shoppers. I bought organic milk and the new organic sunflower seed bread, which we have never tried before. After a quick stop at Hatch’s fruit and veggie stand, I returned home and hung laundry. Then it was time to make organic granola. I chatted briefly with our young Seagull Cottage tenant who said he was planning to look for buoys on the beach to decorate his room. I told him that sometimes you can find all kinds of flotsam, like the great collection above, but finding buoys in summer is not an easy task. I felt envious to not be off to the beach myself on what had turned into a gorgeous day, the first of a string of what the weatherman called "probably the best days of the summer" with bright blue sky and soft breezes. But, unfortunately, an innkeeper is not on vacation and cannot always go enjoy the beach simply because the weather is perfect. During the afternoon, I waited for guests to arrive, checked them in, and made sure everyone was happy. Then it was time for dinner ...