Friday, May 11, 2007

Innkeeping = One Tough Profession in Retirement

Anyone who is deciding on innkeeping as a part-time profession in retirement should reconsider. Innkeepers do not put their feet up and rest. There is always something to do. Running a bed & breakfast without help is a considerable task and not for the faint of heart. Today Sven and I cleaned two guestrooms thoroughly. He then cut the grass while I weeded the garden. “I’m a little fed up on cleaning one day after the other,” Sven grumbled. I feel a bit the same way. I know we should not complain. Chez Sven has been full all week, unusual at this time of the year. The leaves on the Japanese maple beside the Studio unfurled overnight. Our cottage guests arrived all smiles. Warm weather puts everyone in a holiday state of mind.