Sunday, November 01, 2009

Wellfleet, in an Autumn State of Mind


I love the way the tips of the rushes turn golden in the fall! Gradually the green turns all gold. This photo was taken at Great Pond. I also can't get enough of the golden rushes beside Uncle Tim’s Bridge. All lit up by the morning sun, they look like a fireworks display for dragon-flies and sea turtles. This tree next to Cumberland Farms screams for attention. Nature puts on quite a show. All you need to do is take the time to notice.

Beautiful weather yesterday, almost balmy, with a strong breeze. The maple, by the side of the house, lost all its leaves, almost like a now-you-see-them, now-you-don’t magic trick. I was gardening and the pile on the ground kept getting deeper and deeper until it was several inches thick. Foliage is a topic folks sometimes bring up before bookings in fall. The other day a woman called and asked whether the trees had leaves. I looked out the window and replied, yes, but that soon they would be gone. I told her we would still have evergreens, of course, for next weekend, but that, if one were in search of autumn color, the Cape was not the best place to find it. I think my honesty was appreciated because she booked the room anyway. Then today she called back to cancel because her husband has swine flu, our second cancellation in two weeks!