Monday, August 31, 2009

Update on Cahoon Hollow


This morning I walked to Great Pond, above, and our guests left for a sail on the bay, then an afternoon at Duck Harbor. Knowing the interest in Cahoon Hollow beach, where an impressive crack opened up this past Saturday in the sand parking lot, I called the Department of Public Works. A spokesperson told me a front-end loader had been hard at work since 6 am to “fill in the canyon.” Apparently this type of situation has happened before, so the DPW folks know what to do. Take a look at the drop! (I took this photo yesterday, before the DPM started repairing the damage.) Fortunately, there’s no further danger. Cars can park at the edge of the dune, as in the past. However, should we have another freak storm with 3 to 5 inches of rain, I would think it best to avoid venturing out to Cahoon to peek over the edge, down at the ocean …