Thursday, August 13, 2009

Reminder: Gaming Night at Preservation Hall!


Question: When does Wellfleet turn into Las Vegas?
Answer: During summer fund-raising for Preservation Hall!

Here ye, here ye. If you happen to be in Wellfleet this evening, don't miss Gaming Night in the garden behind Preservation Hall. When I stopped by this afternoon, organizers, including prime mover Marla Rice, were busy stringing lights and putting the final touches on the silent auction. Since I have always been such a fervent supporter, the powers that be permitted entrance into the basement. I was one of the first to set eyes on the different lots soon open for bids. There was jewelry, fine art, WINE, gift certificates to local restaurants and shops, a lamp, landscaping and much, much more. While listening to jazz, I strolled around the room admiring the options. I must admit my favorite was also one of the most expensive, with a value of $3800 and a minimum bid of $1800: “Lamp and Wooden Horse” by Nick Patten. If I had the money, I would have placed a bid right then and there, especially since the funds raised will be used to continue work on Preservation Hall. Previewing begins at 4. The bidding is to end at 10. The gaming starts at 7 and will include blackjack, roulette, craps, poker and a private Texas Hold Em’ Tournament. As the poster says, “You can’t go broke gambling to support this great cause.” See you tonight at Preservation Hall!