Monday, April 05, 2010

On the Way Back from Dennis ...


On Saturday morning, I was driving back from Dennis, along Route 6A, when it occurred to me the view was quintessential Cape Cod, a feast for the eyes, with stately clapboard homes, set back from the road, their yards framed by low stone walls. I passed the Brewster General Store and imagined riding in an old jalopy, in summer, and stopping for ice cream. The roadside was planted with daffodils, which bobbed their heads in the breeze. We have daffodils outside Seagull Cottage, but on Route 6A, the spring flowers have had years to multiply and crowd together in their bed. I saw two magnolia trees in blossom. Now many of the mansions house antique stores. I often recommend this drive to our guests, with time to spare. How different the pace at the beginning of the 20th century! The winding road reminded me that everyone who came to Wellfleet, once upon a time, traveled Route 6A, before the highway was created …