Friday, December 10, 2010

Snow's Wins Raves at Christmastime

During the holidays I'm always reminded that Cape Cod has its own super store, a place to find just about anything. My mom used to love shopping here. Anyone who has lived on the Outer Cape knows I'm referring to Snow's Home & Garden Center, our "department" store, located off Main Street in Orleans.

At Snow's, the salesmen and women are amiable, knowledgeable about the merchandise, and eager to help out. They position themselves throughout the store and greet customers as if we were all neighbors. Shopping becomes such fun that you barely notice the dollars flowing out of your wallet. No, actually, I should add the prices are quite reasonable. The problem is the choice. Whoever does the buying for Snow's has a discerning eye. When I go in, I usually want everything.

I had paused this morning to examine a display of books about Cape Cod, below, when I overheard someone talking to a guy named Dexter about the assortment of Christmas decorations. Dexter was saying supplies are selling out faster than last year, which is a good indication the economy must be improving. "We don't know why, but things are going great," he concluded.

Over in Christmas tree ornaments, Ken was chatting with some other shoppers. He told me the fake trees are already half gone. "People like this store," Ken added, when I expressed surprise.

In years past, I have found great gifts for Sven's grandkids in the toy section. The housewares aisles can't be beat. Linens are chosen with care. There's a wide selection of curtains and candles. Snow's sells paint, too. This store even offers the handyman in your life hardware and gadgets to ogle while you are busy shopping. But, what really makes Snow's the place to Xmas-shop must be the trains display, bigger and better than ever. Kids and adults alike become mesmerized. When Sven accompanies me, he becomes a child again. I think he could stand there forever. These trains are every little boy's dream come true. Snow's trains have proved so popular that one of the tracks now stays up all year.

Have you shopped at Snow's while on vacation? Does your town have a similar family department store that isn't a chain? Have you finished your Christmas shopping?