Thursday, September 18, 2008

Environmental Concerns, Past, Present, Future


This week came news of a study in the United Kingdom, indicating that the BPA in our systems can lead to diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Here at Chez Sven, we no longer provide water in plastic bottles. Instead, I draw well water through a three-stage PUR filter and provide a glass pitcher of filtered well water in each room. I realize the filter is no guarantee, but drinking filtered water is certainly better than water that sat in plastic for days. Above is a photo of some of safer bottles guests brought this summer, decorated with great decals. It would be hard to live without plastics. Who knows how daily interaction with plastic, even the plastic in inner tubes, effects children? When you think about it, we have all been used as guinea pigs. I am hopeful that more attention will be paid to the environment after Bush leaves office. I am, of course, voting for Barack Obama. This morning, one of our summer guests emailed me her feelings on the upcoming election. I could not have expressed it more eloquently: “As far as the candidates for office go, I'd like to see someone elected (including senator, representative, pres/VP, etc.) that really care about preserving the environment. I want our decisions to be sustainable for our children and grandchildren and generations to come. I want the FDA to stop looking the other way while additives, dyes and preservatives are put in our food. And I want them to get serious about coming up with a solution that gets medical services for children who have autism or other medical conditions. I am concerned about Palin because she has a very young child with Downs Syndrome and I think she should be caring for it. But, then I am a stay-at-home mom who sees value in raising my own child.” For more information on Obama’s environmental plans, go here. I sought out McCain's position on the environment and learned about his "environmental wishi-washiness" here, after being dissatisfied with what I found on his official Web site.