Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Environmental Causes of Hypothyroidism Revealed in The Green Guide

Relaxing with the October/November issue of The Green Guide, I was struck by a headline: Environmental Thyroid Threats by Catherine Zandonella, M.P.H. The article explains that hypothyroidism now affects 1 out of 12 Americans. I was amazed by this statistic. My two best friends in France and Sven all have the condition, as do I. (In fact, I still take the meds prescribed in Paris a dozen years ago.) I attributed the coincidence to the fact that we were all involuntarily subjected to fallout from the nuclear cloud that drifted around Europe following the Chernobyl explosion April 26, 1986. Now The Green Guide informs readers that other environmental factors can also be responsible. The writer mentions Triclosan, an antibacterial used in soaps, phthalates, found in plastic and used in fragrances, PFOAs from non-stick cookware and microwave popcorn bags, PBDEs which are chemical flame retardants, Perchlorates which is a component of rocket fuel detected in ground water, and BPAs, described in one of my earlier blogs, from plastic bottles. Wow! This information really needs to get out there, so please tell your friends. The Green Guide, recently purchased by National Geographic, is available to guests at Chez Sven, but I really recommend everyone subscribe. In this month’s issue there is also an interesting article called What Happens to Pharmaceuticals in Wastewater? Sven and I have been worried about this for years. Take-back programs are being organized. I will provide an update as soon as possible. Meanwhile, scum rode the waves on Wellfleet's backshore ...