Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why Innkeepers Need Quiet

It is a beautiful day here in Wellfleet, with bright sunshine sparkling all around. Not a bit of wind, the type of weather that has been absent for much of the summer. How does one show such peace and calm, I thought to myself? Why, the surface of Cape Cod Bay! That is what you are admiring above, a photo taken in Provincetown last year.

Yesterday I took Sven to Rhode Island to get his Green Card renewed. Upon our return, I reveled in the quiet of the house as I prepared dinner: gazpacho, using cucumber and heirloom tomatoes from the garden.

I have discovered that, as older innkeepers, we need more periods of total silence. No sounds of people walking overhead, no doors banging, no murmur of voices. It's pleasant to have our home all to ourselves, even if it's only for two days ...