Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Anyone for Photography on the Outer Cape?


There seem to be a lot of photographers in town, not the amateur kind like you and me with our trusty digital cameras on the ready – visible even at the transfer station! – but real honest-to-goodness professional photographers like Joel “Cape Light” Meyerowitz who can be spotted, on occasion, ordering ice cream at PJs. We had at least two photographers, last year, as guests, here to capture Wellfleet’s beauty. Yesterday I saw one man downtown who seemed intent on taking photos of pedestrians. I could not tell whether he requested payment or was simply wandering through town snapping random people, the way I do. And then, of course, there are the occasional photography exhibits, photos on display at Mac’s Shack (below), and photography courses in Truro. Meyerowitz taught one such course this past weekend. The description reads, “Bring your camera, your photographs and lunch, and meet at Castle Hill for five hours of taking pictures and talking about taking pictures with Joel Meyerowitz.” I took that course almost 25 years ago and the pitch was exactly the same, word for word. I remember being shown how a person or an object, like a piece of driftwood, a buoy, or an old wheelbarrow could turn an ordinary landscape into something more exciting. We also did show-and-tell over lunch: I shared an excellent photo of my younger daughter, framed by an inner tube she was carrying back from Dyer Pond, below. The teacher dismissed my special photo with a curt nod. Fortunately, I was not discouraged. I still enjoy taking pictures, as regular blog readers will have noticed ...