Saturday, November 19, 2011

What's Wrong With This Picture?

If you answered that an empty bleach container had washed up on a Wellfleet beach, you would have been right. Apparently boat owners use bleach to clean the deck. Sometimes the containers get washed overboard, or dropped. They do not belong in the ocean. We all need to rethink some of our old habits. If I had the time, I would try to talk to local seamen and see if someone could come up with an alternative. Any ideas?

And, while we're on the topic of plastic pollution, this week one of my posts featured Teresa Parker. When I spoke to her about tomorrow's Preservation Hall event, she told me this blog had inspired her to pick up trash in the woods of Wellfleet. Look at all the refuse Teresa found during a walk around Long Pond! An empty bottle, discarded in the woods, can become a place for mosquitoes to breed. The plastic bags can injure wildlife. As Teresa wrote, "It's just one of those kind of stories that one doesn't read in the newspaper." I'm glad if we are becoming more aware of these issues on the Outer Cape. I just wish our national leaders would embrace a serious no-litter campaign and get plastic out of our lives. Wellfleet has an excellent Recycling Committee and for that, I am grateful. Do you do your part? Do you pick up trash and recycle it?