Wednesday, December 01, 2010

December Round-Up ...

December already! On a day like today, I really need a walk around Dyer Pond. The serenity of nature puts everything in perspective ...

This morning I received an email from Stefan Jarl with the depressing news that his powerful documentary Submission was not accepted by the Sundance Film Festival. As Sven commented to me just now, the message is so very important that this decision is hard to understand, since the film was created by professionals and is of top-notch quality. At a time when the book and film series Girl with the Dragon Tatoo is having such wild success world-wide, you would think an important environmental topic, handled by a well-known Swedish director, would be snatched up immediately. Violence to nature does not yet have the same following, apparently, as murder, rape and sexual abuse. For shame!

And, speaking of "Lisbeth Salander," the third film of the series, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, is being shown at WHAT this evening.

I have been posting every day for almost a year and a half. I've decided it is time to slow down a bit and post two or three times a week instead of daily ...

Finally, another announcement: I have signed up for some writing courses at Grub Street and will therefore be away, off and on, this winter. I obviously cannot write about life in Wellfleet while somewhere else. Therefore, I will have a pinch-hitter here at Chez Sven in January, guest-blogging twice a week. Stephanie Stiavetti writes the excellent food blog Wasabimon, which I started following when I realized how many B&B guests eat gluten-free. I know she will do a great job reporting on Cape Cod. A professional writer, Stephanie has never been to Wellfleet, so she will examine our lovely little town through the eyes of a total newcomer, which will be interesting to me, since the Economic Development Committee is trying to figure out how to attract young people who work from home, using a computer. One of the first places I will take Stephanie? Dyer Pond!