Friday, December 03, 2010

A December Day in the Life

First thing this morning I rushed to Barnstable to hear my friend Laura Kelley do her presentation to the Ad Hoc Vegetation Management Meeting, chaired by Sheila Lyons, and will share my impressions tomorrow. I drove down Route 6A, with its stone walls and picket fences, such a pretty drive, which I often recommend to guests as an alternative to the highway. On the way back I stopped in Harwich for more ceiling paint, as well as in Orleans for flowers and organic fruit. Those of you who follow this blog may remember that we are in the midst of renovating Seagull Cottage. The insulation is done, as is the wallboard. Sven painted the walls this week, but ran out of ceiling paint. The floors are to be sanded on Monday. When Phillipe Rispoli, at PB Boulangerie Bistro, asked if we had room for a special friend of his, I could not say no. So, this afternoon Sven and I attacked the Herculean job of putting the cottage back together. This was no small task. Above, proof that we succeeded. I should have taken a Before photo, as well, but you will have to use your imagination: empty rooms, plastic all over the floor, etc. Whoops! I forgot the flowers. Now the room looks perfect, almost. Again, I was reminded that at 63 and 72, we really are not young enough for the arduous work innkeeping sometimes entails, but, as Sven pointed out, I probably should have simply said no to guests in the cottage this weekend. At 5pm, I stuck a roast in the oven, then made the bed and cleaned the bathroom. We had dinner at 6. Our Green Room guests arrived at 7. I'm heading to bed, but Sven will stay up and greet Philippe's friend who is to arrive at midnight. What a busy day!