Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What's New On the Bookshelf?

On a rainy day like today, what could be more perfect than to curl up with a good book? New on the bookshelf, here at Chez Sven, we find two books which I heard agents mention during Muse & the Marketplace a couple weeks ago. The first is called Tinkers, a tiny book, from a tiny publisher, but this debut novel managed to win the Pulitzer Prize for its author, Paul Harding. Vestel McIntyre, author of the second book, read an excerpt at the luncheon Saturday, and I was hooked. I look forward to learning about small-town America in Lake Overturn. Finally, I decided to add Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois, a cookbook on gluten-free baking, because more and more of our guests request gluten-free.

Last month's selection included Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. I have been loving that book and don't want the linked short-stories, set in a fictitious seacoast town in Maine, to end. Believe I have one more to read ... What have you been reading recently?