Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What the Tide Carries In ...

Fellow Blogathoner Jennifer Walker interviewed me today. Learn more about Swedish breakfast on her blog Morning Chocolate ... Sven and I went to Cahoon Hollow yesterday since I wanted to be able to update guests on beach access. The DPW worked magic. REPORT: Dune Repaired. There's even a platform, with a bench, three-quarters of the way up. Down on the beach, we saw folks edging into the water and a couple digging for razor clams. I don't know if they actually found any. Check out the view:
See any fishing boats on the horizon? Startling fact: Did you know fishermen use bleach to wash down the decks of their boats? I learned this the other day. I had been wondering why there were so many empty gallon jugs of Clorox washed up on Ballston Beach this winter, and here was my answer. Fishermen pollute the ocean, then throw empty jugs overboard. I have not been able to get over the image of the seagull chomping down a plastic bag in the video I posted here yesterday. There’s a spot at Duck Harbor, where it looks as if some giant plastic-hoarder had stored all his treasures. We humans can do better, don't you think?
Beachcombers know the tide carries in all kinds of things. Here are a few photos of objects that do not belong in our oceans:
While this is nothing compared to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, I think our consumer society needs a major behavior adjustment. Each of us must do more to stop environmental pollution. Just talking to friends about the problem is a step in the right direction. What have you done about pollution today?