Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Innkeeping

Our guest from London this week dubbed me, “The Queen of Information.” It is a title I embrace wholeheartedly. That is what a bed & breakfast owner should be: a person knowledgeable about his/her town and area, able to describe local restaurants and beaches, kayaking opportunities, bike rides, etc. and provide helpful hints on how an ordinary vacation can turn into a memorable experience. Each summer season I learn new details on Outer Cape activities, which I pass on to future guests. One of the advantages of being an innkeeper is, in fact, the knowledge required to do the job right. Sven and I know what is going on in Wellfleet. He loves to chat with the guests and share his knowledge of history and world events. In the photo above, Chez Sven guests enjoy stimulating conversation over breakfast at the table outside. I am just now beginning to realize one of the disadvantages to innkeeping. When you have lovely people coming and going, and some stay up to a week, you get attached to these folks and feel sad when they leave ….