Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why Wellfleet's Snow Piles Are Not "Snirt"

I have often written about how beautiful Wellfleet is. The scenery seems even more spectacular now that I am only on the Cape over the weekend. I love beaches in snow, and how different the ponds look in winter! Sven was driving around Gull Pond last weekend, when I spotted a flock of gulls in the middle. I'm not a professional photographer and could not capture this image to share with you, but found it fascinating that the seagulls congregate in exactly the same place, whether the pond is frozen or not. Last weekend the Wellfleet snow drifts were melting, but a few remnants remained at the end of the Newcomb Hollow parking lot. Yesterday I learned that this unmelted snow is called "snirt" in Boston, ie. snow + dirt. In Wellfleet, even the snow piles can be beautiful. No one would ever think of calling them "snirt" ...