Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Call to Action: Call Your Senators Today about Supporting the Safe Chemicals Act of 2011

I love trash, don't you? Let me clarify. Trash fascinates me. I'm amazed at what people throw away. Although Wellfleet's beaches now sport spiffy recycling containers, they do get overwhelmed, as in this photo taken at Cahoon Hollow last Independence Day.

Do you ever wonder how many toxic chemicals are in such a mess? Probably lots. We need to regulate toxic chemicals in the environment. Turns out today is National Call-In for Safe Chemicals Day. So, I urge every one of you reading this blog to do me a favor. Call your senators.

Here in Massachusetts, I can tell you that Senator Brown has not yet made up his mind. He needs to hear from you. A friendly staff member will answer the phone, or you’ll be asked to leave a message. Please ask Senator Brown to co-sponsor the Safe Chemicals Act and let him know what city you live in. It would be good to call Senator Kerry, too, but if you only have time for one call, make it to Brown.

Sample Message:

"Hi my name is _______ and I am a (insert something like mom, dad, aunt, nurse, doctor, student, activist, etc). I am really concerned about toxic chemicals in consumer products and their impact on my family’s health. I’m calling Senator Scott Brown to ask him to co-sponsor the Safe Chemicals Act of 2011. American families deserve to be protected from toxic chemicals in our homes, workplaces and communities.”

MAKE THE CALL!! Phone calls are an incredibly important way for your Senators to know how you feel.

Since this is a national campaign, if you live outside Massachusetts, please contact your own senator. Read how here. And, if you are lucky enough to live in the state of New Jersey, say thank you to Senator Lautenberg who introduced this legislation. Let's get it done this time!

Senator Scott Brown: (202) 224-4543
Senator John Kerry: (202) 224-2742