Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Parkington Sisters at Gig With Springsteen!

Above, a vintage picture disc of Dancing in the Dark, with Pink Cadillac on the flip side. Those of you who have been following this blog for a while probably do not know that I am a Springtsteen fan, because I have never mentioned it. Now, at last, I have found a way to connect Bruce to Wellfleet, so I can scream it through cyberspace: I LOVE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!

Patty, the receptionist at Dr. Latimer’s office in Hyannis, is an even bigger fan than me, if that’s possible. She has photos of the Boss plastered all over her cubicle. I asked yesterday if she had heard that he was in Boston last weekend.

“I know!” Patty exclaimed, her voice full of the regret of someone who has won the lottery but discovers the dog has eaten the lottery ticket. “My husband called to tell me. Seems he played with two gals from Wellfleet.”

“The Parkington Sisters?”

“Don’t know. I’ll have to ask. Must have been the thrill of their life.”

Indeed. I was able to confirm, thanks to Kerry Dexter at Music Road, and yes, the lucky Wellfleet ladies were the Parkington Sisters, who played the first set at House of Blues for the Dropkick Murphys.

I used to work in radio and have a friend whose husband used to be Bruce’s road manager. We were sitting in the staff room, having dinner, before the first Born in the USA concert when Bruce walked in. My friend beckoned to him. He lumbered over.

“I crossed the ocean to meet you!” I blabbered. Not exactly true, but on such occasions you lose control of what comes out of your mouth.

Meeting Bruce was one of the biggest thrills of my life. I was stuck by the loyalty of his entourage. Everyone treated him with such love and respect.

I watched the first half of the show from the audience, but for the second half, my friend took me backstage. We danced in the wings with the wives of the band members. Quite a moment!