Tuesday, July 06, 2010

View from the Hammock

Under the maple tree is the place to be during this weather if you cannot get to the beach, weather so hot that not even the slightest breeze rustles the leaves. I know many of you pulled up my blog today, hoping to see photos of yesterday’s Fourth of July parade, and I’m sorry to disappoint you. We heard the horns and sirens. We saw happy folks walking home with little American flags afterward. Unfortunately, I was not able to go because we had a cottage emergency: the toilet and bathtub were backed up. Of course, impossible to get a plumber, or even a septic system maintenance company to come take a look due to the holiday weekend. Sven labored with plunger, snake, and hose for three hours and finally resolved the situation. I suspect the elderly gents this weekend did not heed the sign in the bathroom, warning that Kleenex should not be flushed. This, too, is the life of an innkeeper …