Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why Photographers Choose Chez Sven


Photographer Walter Baron has an exhibit of photos at the Wellfleet library this month. Over the years Chez Sven has received a number of photographers. Some have shared action scenes of some activity, like kayaking between Williams and Higgins ponds, above. One 83-year-old woman came to shoot the Atlantic Cedar Swamp, at Marconi, for a book of swamp photography. (I never found out whether it was published and, if anyone has this information, please share it with me.) My mother’s friend Julian Olivas visited with helicopter and crew to photograph Cape Cod from the air. Nash Baker came from Houston with his wife and son. Unfortunately, the weather was gray, and Nash was not able to shoot colorful photos of the caliber on display at his Web site. I hope he will return some day. Of course, we have had lots of amateur photographers as well. We also have photographers who do not let on they are professionals. For instance, recent cottage guests went out to Duck Harbor to watch the sunset and captured this amazing photo, Summerhill Photographs copyright. Photos provide a great way to remember a vacation. I like to think photographers choose Chez Sven because of the many beautiful vistas captured digitally for this blog. Taking nice photos of Wellfleet is not hard. It seems as if there is always something worthwhile to shoot here. Last week I captured the remnants of the Chequessett Inn (below) after a snowstorm. This week I was stuck by the bright blue-gray sky above Abiyoyo, barren tree branches warmed by the setting sun but, to my regret, had left my camera home! Let's hope the new, smaller camera my son gave me for Christmas will provide even better illustrations of this picturesque place we call Wellfleet …