Monday, November 24, 2008

A November Day in the Life


I made pancakes for the Green Room guests this morning, which they seemed to appreciate, and gave advice on possible outings for the day. I suggested walks at LeCount and Dyer Pond, two of our favorite places. Once they had left, I spent at least an hour trying to reach dentists for appointments and service trade folks to install a new water heater in the cottage, since ours broke this past weekend. After lunch, Sven and I went to the Wellfleet dump with trash, as well as glass, plastic, and cardboard for recycling. We continued on to the Truro Swap Shop where Sven found a brand new history book with DVD, to his great delight, about the Second World War in the Pacific. Then it was off to the beach for a walk. We saw lots of seagulls, standing sentry by the shore and water that looked like molten steel. In the parking lot, I noticed a sign indicating there will be a meeting about the proposed surfing ban tomorrow evening at the library. Back at the house, I kneaded organic bread for breakfast and worried over which photos to put on a new Web site in the United Kingdom. Sven and I decided it is impossible to choose only two and communicate everything that is going on here at Chez Sven, but choose we must, so that did not get done. I reflected on the fact that last winter, within the next two weeks, our cottage would already be fully booked for 2008. This year, what with the economic crisis, we have already had two cancellations for 2009, plus one for Thanksgiving! Yikes! What a difference a year makes...