Wednesday, September 05, 2007

New Flowers

Yesterday I got up early and drove through Wellfleet before 8 o’clock. Main Street was deserted, except for one lone car, parked in front of the liquor store. The tourists, who had the sense to choose this week for their vacations, were still snug in their beds. During the day I heard more than one person comment on how nice it is now that the crowds are gone. I spoke with Tracy, at Winslow’s Tavern, who also had a very busy summer. She has lost weight and looked a bit harried, rushing about her duties. I could only wonder if the stress showed on my own face, too. Here at Chez Sven, we are treating ourselves to a week with family. We made many new friends over the summer and were able to enjoy return visits from guests who are now old friends. Everyone seemed to admire the garden despite the lack of rain. A couple of long-term guests sent seeds over the winter. As high, high season ended, the inobstrusive little plants finally flowered.