Wednesday, December 07, 2011

What's New on the Bookshelf?

Today we are continuing a series of posts on holiday gifts. Last Wednesday I covered the local scene. Today, I have a cookbook to propose. What I hate most is cleaning up in the kitchen, which is why Sven usually assumes this task for the bed-and-breakfast. A friend told me about Brette Sember's blog, how it described a new way of cooking that involved no pots, no mess. I promptly bought myself some parchment paper and started making the recipes she posted. When her cookbook came out, I ordered it as a Christmas gift for my nephew Alex, who has just started graduate school and, for the first time in his life, needs to cook meals himself. These recipes are perfect. I like the way the flavors blend together during the cooking process. One of my favorites is Scallops Gratin. My stainless steel frying pan used to be such drudgery to clean before I started using parchment. Do consider this amazing cookbook as a holiday gift.