Saturday, July 21, 2007

A July Day in the Life ...


Innkeeping duties become a blur as I think back over everything I did today. What I did not do is go to the beach, or for a walk. Those activities are more apt to happen off-season. Let’s start from the beginning. Over a cup of coffee, I entertained a guest from Houston who told me about the beauty of the bike trail through the Provincelands, a ride I had suggested yesterday. Then it was back into the kitchen to chop strawberries for breakfast. There were six guests around the table! My new friends from Houston were leaving, so after saying goodbye, I stripped their beds and did laundry, then vacuumed. During the afternoon, I worked in the garden in anticipation of the rain, forecast for Monday. We need a good day of rain, which would allow the flowers to grow higher, high enough so the rabbits cannot reach them. I welcomed new Studio guests at 4:30 and then watered the garden. All afternoon the phone kept ringing. First the Wellfleet Chamber was searching on behalf of people who had come by boat, without a reservation, and needed lodging. Then several other desperate folks called. I suggested the motels, or Eastham. It is early in the season for all the beds in Wellfleet to be taken, but I guess that just goes to show how popular our little town has become. After dinner, I baked banana bread for breakfast tomorrow and made yogurt. Whew! Busy, busy day!