Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What I Like Best About Innkeeping

As the month of August draws to an close, Chez Sven has been blessed with exceptional guests, folks who thought to book these coveted August days during the winter. Above, Allan and Pablo, from London, England. The couple arrived by taxi from Provincetown, got around by bike, and left by bus for Hyannis where they caught the ferry to Nantucket. They loved Wellfleet so much they plan to return, next time in the fall when fewer tourists are around. When Allan and Pablo left, I told them they were among the nicest people to ever visit, and this declaration came from my heart. Yesterday a charming yoga teacher from the state of Georgia moved into our Green Room. Today a new group of people from Britain took possession of Liberty Coin Suite. I can tell already that their nine-day visit will be one to remember. Last week we had a family from Holland. Rare are the guests who give me presents, so I am all the more delighted when this happens. The Dutch family figured out what would make me happy, then went about finding it: a "back to homemade" cookbook. "How to brine, brew, salt, smoke, dry, pot, press, pickle and preserve, all in your own modern kitchen." They found this book at the Friends of the Wellfleet Libraries second annual book sale and had their elder daughter Thora present it to me last night. I've said it before, and will probably say it again: what I like best about innkeeping is the opportunity to meet and interact with such lovely people. It's the little gestures that mean the world to me.