Saturday, April 02, 2011

What's New On the Bookshelf?

Edith Pearlman has written an amazing collection of short stories, called Binocular Vision, published in January. Oh, the details! Edith is truly a master. Short story collections are ideal for a bed and breakfast because guests can dip in and out without feeling the compulsion to finish a book, or even pinch it to find out what happens, (not that our guests would ever do such a thing). I am reading Binocular Vision slowly, savoring it. If I have put the book on the bookshelf before reaching the end, the reason is that Edith Pearlman will be reading at the PEN New England Writers Series, April 7, next week. Upstairs on the Square, 5 pm for wine, 5:45 for the reading itself. I would go, were I in Cambridge. I had already fallen in love with this book when I realized I had met the writer, about 10 years ago, a cool lady, and all the more reason to promote her work.