Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Cape Cod Table

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a major foodie. And as a newbie to the Cape Cod area, I've been busily building my Cape Cod food knowledge. This adventure has included wiling away countless hours in local bookstores and the Wellfleet library, checking out as many cookbooks as I could get my hands on.

So far, my favorite is The Cape Cod Table by Lora Brody, which I picked up at Main Street Books in Orleans. It's a great collection of traditional Cape Cod dishes, and includes many favorites like clam chowder and kale soup. There are also a series of recipes that I was surprised to find, like the "dirt ball" from the Cottage Street Bakery. If you're unfamiliar with the dirt ball, don't be put off by its scuzzy name. In reality, it's a maddeningly delicious spherical donut that's been rolled in cinnamon, sugar, and butter. Yes, you read that right.

So, I have a question for you all. I need your help. Can you point me towards your favorite Cape Cod cookbook, and let me know where I can find it? I'd love to pick up a few cookbooks that capture the essence of the amazing food that this part of New England is famous for.