Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wellfleet Preservation Hall Breaks Ground ....


Perfect weather for the groundbreaking ceremony this afternoon on the Preservation Hall back lawn where around two hundred and fifty Wellfleetians gathered to celebrate community. I had a dentist’s appointment, so missed the first comments, including Marge Piercy's poem and a short speech by Mary Fox that moved people to tears, but I did arrive in time to hear Selectman Dale Donovan explain how his admiration had grown for the people initially perceived as a “bunch of loonies,” intent on renovating the town’s former Catholic Church. Librarian Elaine McIlroy then spoke, saying she expected the hall soon to become Wellfleet’s second five-star establishment and congratulated all the Prez. Hall folks “who appeared to have had quite a bit of fun in the process” of creating this unique community center for our beloved town. Sharyn Lindsey‘s appearance at the podium hushed the crowd. Her speech began, “This is the town I chose to live in. I understood what community is all about when tragedy hit my family …” Above, Netta in Preservation Hall hard hat, and Marla, posing for celebratory photos. Sharyn's son Caleb also struck a pose for the numerous photographers, after a resounding rendition of “This Hall Is Your Hall,” sung by town children, led by Nicholas Gulde and Mac Hay, on the guitar. The party continued at the Lighthouse ... I looked around at all the beaming faces and thought, this happiness was created by community. Join me in the memorable refrain, “This hall’s preserved for you and me!”