Sunday, September 06, 2009

Truro Holds First Annual Agfair


Something very exciting is happening on Cape Cod today, with the inauguration of Truro’s annual agricultural fair, "celebrating agriculture, aquaculture, fishing & farming on the Outer Cape." It’s almost one o’clock, so you still have time to head out, if nearby. For directions, go here. Lots of animals on display, as befitting a real country fair – sheep, ducks, rabbits, horses – with rapt children surrounding the cages and pens. On the other side of the road, pies and baked goods for sale, lots of organic veggies, a bio char demonstration, happy kids having their faces painted, honey, FLOWERS! What I especially appreciated was the warm down-home feeling of community that was contagious. Many young families showed up. There were children everywhere. I spoke with David Dewitt, of Rock Spray Nursery, one of the organizers, who told me the Truro Agfair was created in response to the library program of one book, one town. I asked if David was happy with the turnout. “I’m overwhelmed with joy!” he said. Planning started back in January. I stopped by the Green Cape stand and spoke with the folks there, distributing information on NStar’s intention to spray herbicides underneath the power lines. (They were collecting signatures against the spraying and money for Jared Collins, who was fined $250 by the National Seashore after Thursday's Prune-In.) Terra Luna, one of my favorite Outer Cape restaurants, had hamburgers and corn roasting on the grill. As twenty kids prepared to dive in at the first round of the pie-eating contest, below, I turned away with regret, knowing I had left Sven to clean all by himself and that our next guests would arrive by 2 from Germany. Know what? Once they're settled in, I’m heading back to the fair!