Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Pearl Does Shine


“Beautiful bar upstairs,” a fellow diner told his companion as Sven and I settled in behind our recycled table at Pearl. Light green walls softened the otherwise black and white décor. By looking out the window anyone can see why it would be hard to go wrong in such a great location. Pearl follows a tradition of great restaurants on the site. There’s an even better view from the deck upstairs where cocktails are served with raw bar. Pearl is spacious, I noted, glancing around me: 215 seats. The horseshoe crab motif on the wall caught my eye. Our gracious middle-aged waitress brought me kale soup, which hit the spot. I could imagine arriving by boat in Wellfleet harbor during a storm and warming up with a cup of this hearty soup! Mmm-hmm. Our meals came quickly: I opted for salad; Sven had the ribs. Turns out they’re one of chef Bob Wageman’s specialties. “Are you enjoying that?” I asked. “I think they have a good chef,” Sven concluded, licking his fingers. Our only complaint was the noise, but that seems to be a constant in most Wellfleet eateries. Pearl gets extra points for its recycling efforts, which you can read about here. Traditional fare, large portions, family-oriented …. Here’s pricey competition for Moby Dick’s in the Best Family category, without a doubt!