Saturday, March 07, 2009

How the Economic Crisis Affects Us: March


The economic crisis touches us all. When I drove by Finely JPs this afternoon, I saw a new sign extending the Thursday night special to the weekend. In Orleans, the pharmacist told me how heartbreaking it is to have customers only able to purchase the meds they can afford. In the mail, I received a letter from Alaffia, a great sustainable skin care company in Washington which markets shea butter products from Togo. The founder wrote, "My hope is that, even through the economy is tough and creating anxiety among all of us, we do not forget that we are all in this together. Alaffia will do what is necessary to give customers what they need while continuing our cooperative and community efforts in Togo. It is my hope that we will work together creatively to survive these difficult times." Here at Chez Sven we feel the crisis in our reservations for summer - two long-standing guests canceled their week of vacation in the cottage - but also in the day-to-day running of the bed & breakfast. Everyone is requesting one night. We have a policy not to do one night. What people do not realize is that the preparation of a room in a private house during the off-season involves a lot of work. Add the cost of breakfast, soap, amenities, washing of linens, heat when the booking is for the cottage, and quickly you start scratching your head. One night simply does not make sense business-wise. We also feel guests need more than one night to experience Cape Cod. This evening I received the fifth request this week for one night in March. It can be cold or warm in March, but, since we live in Wellfleet, always beautiful. I suggest that people who want to stay one night would do better at a motel. The B&B experience is richer when guests stay at least two nights, or even three. If I were to book the cottage for the last Saturday in March now, then I would have to refuse the people who might call March 24, 25, or 26, after the weatherman has predicted excellent spring weather. I feel awful turning people away. As the founder of Alaffia remarked, we are all in this together. That is why I am willing to offer discounts on two-night stays for the cottage in March to people who request them ...