Thursday, July 31, 2008

What is a Swedish Breakfast?


Our Swedish guests, in Liberty Coin Suite, are leaving today. This is their third visit over four years. They come from Uppsala but used to live in the USA. When Swedish guests are here, I make a Swedish-type breakfast: bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, ham, fish pate, etc. Our new Green Room guest reported attending a great poetry reading at the Congregational Church last night. There are so many fun things to do here in the summer. I wish I had the time and leisure to take advantage of more of them! For instance, David Wright will be performing on the piano at Mayo Beach this evening.
People are always asking me, "What is a Swedish breakfast?" So, now I have put the response on the blog. I do appreciate guests who remove their shoes, the way Swedes do, prior to entering a room. I wish we had that habit here in America. Yesterday morning the father of this Swedish family was preparing a speech he will give at Harvard this week, so mother and kids were waiting patiently at the top of the stairs when I went to call them for breakfast. I could not resist taking a photo.