Monday, June 30, 2008

A June Day in the Life


This last day of June began early for me, since I always rise an hour before breakfast. Our current Liberty Coin Suite guests are attending the Cape Cod Institute and therefore need to eat early. It rained last night, so I set the breakfast table inside. I served fruit salad, homemade yogurt, granola, and Dancing Deer coffee cake. Then I showed my Green Room guests some Assessor's maps of Wellfleet and described various hikes through the National Seashore. I did not clean, I did not iron, I did not make beds, I did not wash linens. I did not even go to the beach, although I did hear it was beautiful there this afternoon. Instead, I devoted several hours to BY BEA'S BEDSIDE, the first time I have worked on the manuscript in months. Then I wrote a query letter. I answered a lot of phone calls and several email requests for rooms in July, of which we have none. The only time I went out was to shop at Hatch's, behind town hall. Fortunately, the strawberry farmer had just pulled his truck into the parking lot, allowing me to purchase native strawberries, which I will serve for breakfast tomorrow. While waiting in line, I observed a woman's request for organic broccoli, "the only thing" her children would eat. A good sign when visitors to Wellfleet request organic products! It means we may have more year-round.