Saturday, May 10, 2008

Have Pillow, Will Travel

As the sun sets on another successful renovation, Sven and I look back at what has been accomplished and smile, grateful to the architect, and to our contractor Nate Cook and his team. They have done an amazing job. We have, too, when you come to think of it. We are still married, for one thing. Renovation is a notorious marriage-wrecker. For the past two months Sven and I have been working every day, right alongside the carpenters, and have done little else. Last winter we had the leisure to get out so I could take photos of Wellfleet, like the one above, taken from the bridge at the Herring River Dike. Had I moved my camera slightly to the right the photo would have included the object of much attention here in Wellfleet over the past few months: the so-called “Billboard House,” which has spoiled this spectacular view of the National Seashore for some thirty years. It was already controversial back then. The new owners have requested a permit to tear down the ugly modern structure and build a McMansion. The town and the Seashore are joining forces in opposition. Had I had any energy left, I would have attended the ZBA evening meetings. Instead, I was more intent on finding a place to lay my head at the end of a day of hard labor. The musical beds will continue a bit longer, with boxes piled up everywhere as we gradually move back into the main house. Two nights ago I slept in the cottage; last night, in the Green Room. Tonight I will sleep in the small bedroom of Liberty Coin Suite. Have pillow, will travel! …