Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Great Green News!

The cold continues. Here is a rare photo of Chez Sven, with icicles hanging from the roof.

I went through the day with a big smile on my face. This morning I listened to NPR. Major corporations are at last acknowledging global warming and gearing up to take on the challenge. A rep from Green Peace even expressed hope, as well as wonder and a bit of skepticism. Once one has grandchildren, the issue takes on new urgency. So said Jim Rogers, CEO of Duke Energy. I agree.

Today we received a great energy-efficient torchiere from RE Williams. I applaud their efforts to promote energy efficiency but regret the large amount of Styrofoam peanuts, which protected the lamp from bumps and scratches en route. I promptly sent the company an email to point this out. Let’s hope they switch to packaging that is less detrimental to the environment!