Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My New Addiction


Question: How is a blog like the ocean?

Answer: The ocean never looks quite the same. With the tides and weather, nature is constantly remodeling the shoreline. Each day there are subtle changes in the landscape. This variety is the reason no one ever tires of beach-walking. In a similar vein, the adroit blogger has a voice and captures the reader's attention by changing tone and topic, without losing focus of the subject at hand.

Have you noticed how blogs are receiving more and more media coverage? Penelope Trunk recently wrote an article on blogs, published last week in the Globe.

I have come to the conclusion that I prefer blogging to just about anything. I definitely prefer it to painting, the job I had assigned myself today. If I had the choice between cooking breakfast and blogging, I would choose the computer over pots and pans. Ditto, shopping and cleaning. I actually hate to clean, but it is a necessary part of the bed & breakfast business, so clean I must. Gardening, now there’s something I truly enjoy. Planting flowers, seeing them grow, deadheading faded blossoms . . . I used to really get into gardening. The growing season is not here yet, but I already sense there may be a few more faded blossoms left on flower stems this year. Why? Outside work takes me away from the computer. How I love the melodic sound it makes to announce the arrival of new email! Email is not blogging, true. However, I receive Chez Sven inquiries via the Internet … and then there are those nice little messages from past and future guests about Chezsven Blog: “Reading your blog is wonderful.” “Love your photos. Wellfleet is a favorite of mine!” “Beautiful writing!”

Blogging is, in fact, very similar to my all-time favorite job. Twenty-some years ago I had a radio show in France and began my program every evening with the words, “Good evening, Paris! C’est Sandy Beach, en direct du Studio XYZ, et je vous invite a vous promener sur les ondes avec moi.” (TRANSLATION: Good evening Paris! Sandy Beach here, live from the XYZ studio. Come take a little stroll on the airwaves with me.) The XYZ is because the name kept changing, not a very good way to ensure audience fidelity. The station belonged to powerful media people who should have known better. Still all Paris could tune in. I loved being on the radio. Sending my voice out over the airwaves was exhilarating. Blogging is similar to radio work. It involves writing and communication, two activities, which seem to come naturally to me. Even back then, I remained connected to Wellfleet through my choice of radio name: Sandy Beach.

Perhaps you, too, love Wellfleet? As a pioneer-reader, you are eligible for this special offer: my daughter Stephanie made me birthday bumper stickers. If you would like an I LOVE WELLFLEET bumper sticker for your car, bike, truck, boat, plane, or helicopter, shoot me an email with your name and address. I have already put one on our Volvo ...