Thursday, June 05, 2008

Guest Blogger: Nick Grabbe!

My brother, Nick Grabbe, is a reporter in Amherst. Seems to me, whenever he comes to visit, the least he can do is guest-blog. Don't you think? "Whenever I come to Wellfleet, I'm impressed at how my sister has transformed the house I've been coming to for 37 years. This time, the room I'd always known as a living room has become a kitchen/dining room, and the old kitchen and dining room have been reborn as a guest room. I can scarcely remember what it was like before. Even though it's been cloudy and rainy for my two-day visit, I've enjoyed hunkering down indoors and reading and talking to my sister and niece. And how many days in June can you go to Newcomb Hollow Beach and have it all to yourself? The rain was also good for the six tomato plants I placed in the garden, and maybe they'll still be there if I get to return in October. I've always enjoyed Wellfleet the most when it's not occupied by vacationers, when I can enjoy its beauty and seclusion without the traffic and noise. I used to think I wanted to retire and run a bed & breakfast, until my wife convinced me that I wasn't temperamentally suited to that kind of work, that I'd wind up insulting my guests like John Cleese on 'Fawlty Towers.' I admire my sister for turning my parents' home into an inn and marvel at how well she runs it."