Sunday, August 06, 2006

PMC Passes Two Blocks Away!

Today was the Pan-Mass Challenge weekend. I could tell, because I heard cheering early this morning while preparing breakfast. So, I got out my camera and walked up the hill to Long Pond Road. A small crowd had settled in to welcome the first bikers who were zipping by. The onlookers must have gotten up at dawn. 4300 riders started the race in Sturbridge yesterday. They stopped for the night in Bourne. Then it was back in the saddle for the final push out the Cape. 2500 are racing to Provincetown as I write these words. Their route goes right down Long Pond Road. A water stop is organized at the Wellfleet Elementary School, prior to their continuing on to Truro. In P-town the riders get to experience the incredible Province Lands landscape before they reach the finish line.

The Pan-Mass Challenge raises money for cancer research at Dana Farber. Each rider commits to raising at least $5000. What a wonderful idea!